Wednesday, April 23, 2014

KNOW THE HOLY GHOST- Witness


I was fortunate, after significant diligence, to Know the Holy Ghost.  Amongst  what I learned, was who the Holy Ghost is, his role and our relation to ourselves. I know that it speaks as one man to another in Our own language.

I found it is important for us to know who the Holy Ghost is. One of the basic mysteries is to know the third member of the godhead-- the Holy Ghost.  

His partnership with the Father and the Savior is highly important and naturally so is ours.

The night this happened I was pondering, studying at length and putting notes together as to my understanding of certain principles and patterns--In particular, the process of knowing the voice of God so that I might always have it and know His will. I felt it was the only way to get to know Christ and be assured of his will.  Specifically I was studying the correlation between the Kingdom of heaven being within us, us being a temple, us becoming a little child, and our relationship with the Savior and the Father, and ourselves sacrificing as a savior role.  Like a bolt, a voice came to my soul declaring things that had never entered my heart or mind previously. I opened myself up to prayer, entered the doorway of the temple within me, a holy of holies, and conversed with the Holy Ghost.


It was impressed upon me the importance of The Holy Ghost, and its relation to the Savior and yourself or your soul.  I am a witness of the Holy Ghost  and for  this reason only I am writing this. I have hopes to relay that there are great things to know and and important processes to learn how to know the Holy Ghost. I personally gained many things from this experience and a few of them I would like to express:
  • -The Gap is so wide that we must have the Savior bridge the gap with His grace and mercy.  
  • -Our Spirit is working in conjunction with the Father and the Son.
  • -I viewed our Spirit was true and faithful to the Father in all things similar to the Savior before we entered this world respectively... or in other words we became innocent again.
  • -I was amazed by this discovery but immediately comprehended a tremendous gap. The Savior lived perfectly and I had not, we all had not. All have lived so incredibly beneath the Savior and our spirit self. The gap which could be considered , our sin, or mishaps of missing the mark appears essentially equal to him from His vantage point.
  • -I was and am still in awe of the understanding of how the Savior was able to live perfectly and we have strayed so far.
  • -We descended for the purpose to overcome the carnal/mortal nature and raise it equal to our spirit. We are to look inside us to who we really are for the truth of all things. It is a huge self discovery process which requires faith and dedication to the needs of the spirit and not at all to the body. We are not to hate the body but love it into submission.
  • -Seeing life through the eyes of the Holy Ghost makes everything ungodly beneath us… only good matters. Everything else is an illusion. Everything but (your) godliness is a deception.
  • -We have a partnership with the Savior similar as the Savior has with the Father. This partnership we have with the Savior only is of value, if we serve others and bring them to know him. Of course, we must know him first and follow his next instruction or better said request.
  • -We are the temple. We are to go to the temple to commune with Christ, the Spirit and even the Father. It is a spiritual temple with a holy of holy’s inside.
  • -Worthiness was not why this happened to me. For I was am a sinner am amazed still a sinner. I was amazed because I was still a sinner in that moment. It was then presented to me that the purpose of sin and weakness is to get us to this point. Make us a little child to discover our true need and that our total existence is dependent on Christ.
  • -There is a vast difference between the state of our Spirit and the state of our body due to the world and our natural man choices.
  • -We are gods, in our true light, working through our probation with the ability to be like Him.
  • -From this knowledge came a renewed love, intense and deep but not at all overwhelming. Also what I felt from this was a tremendous strength inside my existence… putting me in touch with my spirit. Wanting all to feel the same.
  • -There is a more sure word of prophecy within our reach, that changes our being and vision which is powerful enough to give strength to overcome all things through Christ for salvation.
  • -It is our role to live this life as Christ, choosing good, dispelling any illusions, constantly repenting so the Savior can merge the gap that is so wide. When we feel you haven't a need to repent we are wrong.
  • -A great, great key is to knock and understand "need." Knocking is to be approached as an infant, completely void of ability. Mans natural mind is not close to being exactly right. Knowing that traditions fool is important so that our mind is willing to accept anything He says.
  • -Also, Give up that you think you know something!
Below is the best description that I have found of what is within us (Separate & Distinct Attributes) Moses 6:61:
 Therefore it is given to abide in you;
-the record of heaven;
-the Comforter;
-the peaceable things of immortal glory;
-the truth of all things;
-that which quickeneth all things,
-which maketh alive all things;
-that which knoweth all things,
-and hath all power according to wisdom, mercy, truth, justice, and judgment.


There are many scriptures and references that helped me which I’m happy to share if interested and upon request.
___________________________________________________________________________________________


Below is a frequent question and I wanted to publish it in hopes it could be beneficial for anyone here. @jared: I've seen you post several times about seeking for answers within yourself and realizing it isn't something external. I've been trying to do that when I pray but it's confusing to me. Does it help to imagine something specific? What advice can you give?

Hey Tom,
I can give suggestions but I think it comes down to your own experimenting with confidence that God is actually in there.  As you see (or should I say become aware) of the evidence your confidence becomes stronger.  It's very tricky, in my opinion, because It's not the voice or evidence that one is used to.  It requires you to become aware of spiritual senses instead of physical ones.

I really like Joseph's description "then the voice of inspiration STEALS ALONG and whispers".  "Steals along" is an interesting way to word it.  Something that steals along does so not noticeable almost without movement or sound.  You could say the moon steals along the sky. There is movement there however it takes very close attention to perceive it.
Notice in the below statement that it was only after being locked up and void of the "sweet voice" and his "heart contrite" that the voice becomes apparent.

"but those who have not been enclosed in the walls of prison without cause or provocation, can have but little idea how sweet the voice of a friend is; one token of friendship from any source whatever awakens and calls into action every sympathetic feeling . . . until finally all enmity, malice and hatred, and past differences, misunderstandings and mismanagement are slain victorious at the feet of hope; and when the heart is sufficiently contrite, *then the voice of inspiration steals along and whispers,* (History of the Church, 3:293)
In prayer or meditation I believe getting to a quiet spot within yourself where you can ponder w/ your mind and pay attention to what comes into your heart. I typically spend more time in prayer pondering in prayer before I pray for anything.  A lot of my prayer is receiving from Him instead of giving.  I believe it is important to find and pray in the Holy Ghost so as to direct a prayer.  Here is a post I wrote if helpful http://latterdaycommentary.com/2015/01/06/praying-in-the-holy-ghost/.  While you ponder in prayer go with where it takes you.  At times it might feel like you want to resist and discount it but  just go with it and see if spiritual eyes can be opened up.  Be open for anything.

The reality of us is that we are made up of a spirit and body.  This body or tabernacle is simply a vehicle for your true self.  I have found it possible to find and be in the spirit at any point of the day. I find it interesting to test my consciousness. "Minded" is another way of describing consciousness.  Here are two different types of consciousness: Remember, to be carnally-minded is death, and to be spiritually-minded is life eternal.1 Nephi 14:7Carnally minded vs spiritually- minded.  Carnal consciousness vs spiritual consciousness
Carnally minded I think is easy for us to identify with however, spiritual maybe not so much. Since we know what is carnally minded maybe find what is not that and you will find your spiritual mind.

The word "voice" can be deceiving- because of what we typically associate with "voice".  But he further clarifies here what his voice is.

"Behold, that which you hear is as the voice of one crying in the wilderness—in the wilderness, because you cannot see him—my voice, *because my voice is Spirit*; my Spirit is truth; truth abideth and hath no end; and if it be in you it shall abound.D&C 88:66"

His voice is spirit.

He is in there.  He is in you.  In that wilderness.  Knowing that fact will build the confidence to find Him.  Confidence is built as we find it, listen and finally we realize...Holy shiz.. you've been in there the entire time...


Last edited by JaredAlmond on Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 9 times in total.
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer." Albert Camus
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:2

7 comments:

  1. Jared,
    In your experience with the Holy Ghost, did you gain any understanding as to why the experience you received isn’t shared by others in scripture? Or is it and I have overlooked it?
    johnD

    ReplyDelete
  2. It surprised me too. Very much so. I've pondered that and I have found since that there are references to it.

    I believe now that every prophet in the scripture was familiar and knew the Holy Ghost intimately. The path they walk. to become who they are, requires it!

    Listening to his voice is paramount over everything else in their life.

    Here is a reference I'd like to point out in 1 Nephi 11 In verse 5 the response from the spirit rang very true with different meaning to me after my experience.

    Nephi when being asked by the Spirit the question if he believed what the father saw. His response was automatic not just from belief or faith but by seeing the Spirit and knowing who he was, it was a response full of knowledge and recognition.. almost like looking back at your own reflection..saying of course I believe you know that I believe.. .

    1 Nephi 11 4-5
    4 And the Spirit said unto me: Believest thou that thy father saw the btree of which he hath spoken?

    5 And I said: Yea, THOU KNOWEST I BELIEVE all the words of my father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jared,
    That does make some sense, I’ve often struggled with the ability to be absolutely clear on what is of the spirit and of my own mind. If one knows the Spirit that would appear to be considerably easier?
    So you weren’t seeking an encounter with the Holy Ghost but for better communication with the Lord and contemplating how the Spirit works?
    Do you feel more secure in the ability to, without reservation, know when the Spirit is prompting you?
    Were you allowed to ask any questions and receive an answers?
    Do you feel this was a onetime event, or do you think there is more to follow with Him?
    Thanks!
    johnD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was not seeking an encounter with the Holy Ghost. Frankly, didn't even cross my mind it was a possibility. That is why I explain that it hit me like a bolt.. maybe I should have said brick:) It was shocking. My path was seeking to have the spirit as my constant companion. I wanted to know and recognize the voice that is talked about so much in the scriptures and by everyone that reads them. I wanted to know and recognize the voice so I could know the will of God in my life.. always.

    I've heard about the "constant" companionship of the Holy Ghost all of my life and was adamant to see if I could obtain that. It seemed from all the scriptures that it was necessary. I very diligently sought that goal and have since obtain a much better understanding of what that means.

    Great questions. Yes, I was able to ask questions and the answers were immediate. Actually, that is the only way I was able to really learn anything was to ask and express my interest. I continue to learn about and from the experience I had as I implement the spirit in my life each day and ponder questions.

    I am much more secure about about the promptings of the Spirit. The encounter DIDN'T really make that happen. The encounter helped though by learning that we Literally have the Holy Ghost in us. You literally have the Holy Ghost within you. The Savior when he was talking to the Pharisees was trying to state this"

    And when he (Savior) was demanded of the Pharisees, when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said, The kingdom of God cometh not with observation.
    Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you (Luke 17: 20-21)..

    Coming to this realization was big however, that didn't bring the confidence that I currently have. It was actually experimenting and practicing with and recognizing His promptings within me and then trusting them. I actually don't necessarily like referring to the constant communication as a voice. I think it makes people focus and listen with their ears or something vocal in their head. Have you visited this site? I've written several things with the goal to understand it better. http://www.journeytothefullness.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

    ReplyDelete
  5. The communication comes in several forms: feelings, promptings, thoughts in your hear and mind in combination. They are however distinct from your own normal thoughts. I do feel that it is unique to everyone so it's a balance each has to find. It's like tuning in an instrument. It has to be worked, felt, listened to until you zero in on the right frequency.

    I believe and have experienced that in everything we do if we pay attention the Lord can be whispering inspiration to us. It's great when revelation is shouted to us though. It seems to be louder and more frequent the more I pay attention. Having this communication as your constant companion Is the best guide and the most loyal.

    I know the Holy Ghost is always faithful but seems to pay attention to me when i'm Loyal... what I mean by loyal is that in whatever i'm doing if I can remember to combine my sight with my heart and mind which arises my soul in the Savior and his will- then I can find him. It seems to become more automatic though in many areas with experience. I compare it to your own seer stone or urim in thummim If I can quiet things down and align me right the revelation is there.

    As far as this being a onetime event...I don't know but it wouldn't be necessary in my mind for another similar because It is I that has to make him my constant companion. I had to actually reach in, find him and receive him. We are each all charged to receive the Holy Ghost. This does not happen by only having hands layed on us. It requires action on our end.

    To answer why this might have happened to me-- maybe it was the only way this could get through my thick head. My heart was sincere, I was diligent and the Lord is merciful. But as I stated in my witness I was still a sinner and perhaps a big lesson is that: God Cares about WHO you ARE, We (man) care about what we do. Who you Are is what matters. Who you ARE determines what you do. Awakening to who you ARE and being that Spirit matters. He has confidence that you will BE who you are once we open ourselves to truth and light. He knows who you ARE and longs for you to be with him again IN THIS MORTALITY. in this life. The Goal of the Holy Ghost is bring us unto sanctification. Sanctify us and lead us to the presence of our Savior. Anything distracting from this is not his purpose. Thank the Lord for Truth and Light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jared,
      I have been in scriptural and spiritual “cramming” mode for weeks now and my brain is mush 
      But since you were given this experience, I thought I would ask for your opinion.
      I wonder if you can help me on overcoming my “traditions” and getting to the truth on the Holy Ghost.
      Is my inner self, my spirit, the Holy Ghost? And the gift of the Holy Ghost is breaking through our fouled up minds/ bodies and connecting to it? Then on our way to becoming one with the Father and the Son via the Holy Spirt witch is their mind and will?

      Delete
    2. Hi Anonymous, I'm sorry, I haven't checked this blog in a while and didn't see your question until now. Here is a direct link where I relate more-
      http://www.journeytothefullness.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=224

      I like how you paraphrased/summarized in your questions. I think you are in the correct direction. Some other things to think about--

      The Spirit within you is Holy. The Holy Ghost Dwells in you.
      "The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not DWELL IN US. D&C 130:22"

      This is the best description of what Abides In You.

      "Therefore it is given to abide in you;
      the record of heaven;
      the Comforter;
      the peaceable things of immortal glory;
      the truth of all things;
      that which quickeneth all things,
      which maketh alive all things;
      that which knoweth all things,
      and hath all power according to wisdom, mercy, truth, justice, and judgment.
      Moses 6:61"

      The Holy Spirit Constitutes the Godhead with the Father and the Son.
      Q. Do the Father, Son and Holy Spirit constitute the Godhead?
      A. They do. (5:12.)
      Lectures on Faith

      The Holy Spirit is the mind of God

      Q. Do the Father and the Son possess the same mind?

      A. They do. John 5: 30. I (Christ) can of my own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge, and my judgment is just; because I seek not my own will, but the will of the Father who sent me. John 6:38. For I (Christ) came down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him that sent me. John 10: 30. I (Christ) and my Father are one.

      Q. What is this mind?
      A. The Holy Spirit. John 15:26. But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceeds from the Father, he shall testify of me. (Christ.) Gal. 4: 6. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts.

      Delete