Friday, January 17, 2014

http://www.journeytothefullness.com/the-gospel-and-the-church/


The Gospel And The Church

Elder Ronald E. Poelman of the Seventy

Both the gospel of Jesus Christ and the Church of Jesus Christ are true and divine. However, there is a distinction between them which is significant and it is very important that this distinction be understood.Elder-Poelman
Of equal importance is understanding the essential relationship between the gospel and the church. Failure to distinguish between the two and to comprehend their proper relationship may lead to confusion and misplaced priorities with unrealistic and therefore failed expectations. This in turn may result in diminished benefits and blessings and, in extreme instances, even disaffection.
As I attempt to describe and comment upon some distinguishing characteristics of the gospel and the Church, noting at the same time their essential relationships, it is my prayer that a perspective may be developed which will enhance the influence of both the gospel and the Church in our individual lives.
The gospel of Jesus Christ is a divine and perfect plaWhatIsTheChurchn. It is composed of eternal, unchanging principles and laws which are universally applicable to every individual regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The principles and laws of the gospel never change.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a divine institution, administered by the priesthood of God. The Church has authority to teach correctly the principles and doctrines of the gospel and to administer its essential ordinances.
The gospel is the substance of the divine plan for personal, individual salvation and exaltation. The Church is the delivery system that provides the means and resources to implement this plan in each individual’s life.
Procedures, programs, and policies are developed within the Church to help us realize gospel blessings according to our individual capacity and circumstances. These policies, programs, and procedures do change from time to time as necessary to fulfill gospel purposes.
Underlying every aspect of Church administration and activity are the revealed eternal principles as contained in the scriptures. As individually and collectively we increase our knowledge, acceptance, and application of gospel principles, we become less dependent on Church programs. Our lives become gospel centered.
Sometimes traditions, customs, social practices and even personal preferences of individual Church members may, through repeated or common usage be misconstrued as Church procedures or policies. Occasionally, such traditions, customs and practices maybe even be regarded by some as eternal gospel principles. Under such circumstances those who do not conform to these cultural standards may mistakenly be regarded as unorthodox or even unworthy. In fact, the eternal principles of the gospel and the divinely inspired Church do accommodate a broad spectrum of individual uniqueness and cultural diversity.
The conformity we require should be according to God’s standards. The orthodoxy upon which we insist must be founded in fundamental principles and eternal law, including free agency and the divine uniqueness of the individual. It is important therefore to know the difference between eternal gospel principles which are unchanging, universally applicable and cultural norms which may vary with time and circumstance.
The source of this perspective is found in the scriptures and may appear to be presented in a rather unorganized and even untidy format. The Lord could have presented the gospel to us in a manual, systematically organized by subject, perhaps using examples and illustrations. However, the eternal principles and divine laws of God are revealed to us through accounts of individual lives in a variety of circumstances and conditions.
Reading the scriptures we learn the gospel as it is taught by various messengers  at different times and places. We see the consequences as it is accepted or rejected, as its principles are applied or not by varying degrees and by many different people.
John-Jesus-BaptismIn the scriptures we discover that varying institutional forms, procedures, regulations, and ceremonies are utilized - all divinely designed to implement eternal principles. The practices and procedures change; the principles do not.
Through scripture study we may learn eternal principles and how to distinguish them from and relate them to institutional resources. As we liken the scriptures unto ourselves, we can better utilize the institutional resources of the modern, restored church to learn, live, and share the gospel of Jesus Christ.
A favorite scriptural source for me is the Old Testament book of Leviticus. It is basically a handbook for Hebrew priests and contains many rules, regulations, rituals, and ceremonies which seem strange and inapplicable to us. It also contains eternal principles of the gospel which are familiar and very much applicable to everyone.
It is interesting and enlightening to read the nineteenth chapter of Leviticus, noting the principles and the practices and rules.
In the first two verses we read, “And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the congregation of the children of Israel.” (Lev. 19:1-2) Here is the principle of revelation. God speaks to his children through prophets. He does so today.
Continuing, the Lord says to Moses, “Say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the Lord your God am holy.” (Lev. 19:2) Many years later Jesus in these words, in the Sermon on the Mount, said, “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.” (Matt. 5:48) Here is an eternal principle.
There follow other eternal principles, some from the Ten Commandments. Also included are rules and programs intended to implement these principles among the ancient Hebrews in their particular circumstances.
For example, the divinely directed responsibility to care for the poor is taught. A program is presented, namely, providing food for the poor by leaving the gleanings of the crops and not reaping the corners of the fields. (Lev. 19:9-10) Current programs to care for the poor are much different. The divine law is the same. Yet another principle underlies both programs, ancient and modern: that is, those being assisted are given opportunity to participate in helping themselves to the extent of their capacity.
In verse 13 (Lev. 19:13) the principle of honesty is taught, accompanied by a rule requiring employers to pay employees for their work at the end of each day. Generally, today that rule is not necessary. The eternal principle of honesty is implemented by other rules and practices.
Verse 27 (Lev. 19:27) contains a rule about personal grooming. It is clearly not applicable to us. However, we also have standards of dress and grooming. Neither is an eternal principle; both are intended to help us implement and share gospel principles.
The principle of forgiveness is set forth in the same chapter of Leviticus, verse 18 (Lev. 19:18), concluding with the second great Commandment, “Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself,” with the added divine imprimatur, “I am the Lord.”
Every Church member has not only the opportunity, right, and privilege to receive a personal witness regarding gospel principles and the Church practices, but the need and obligation to obtain such assurance by exercising his free agency. There by fulfilling one purpose of his mortal probation. Without such assurance one may feel confused and perhaps even burdened by what may appear to be simply institutional requirements of the Church.
Indeed, it is not enough to obey the commandments and counsel of Church leaders. In response to study, prayer, and by the influence of the Holy Spirit we may seek and obtain an individual and personal witness that the principle or counsel is correct and divinely inspired. Then we can give enlightened, enthusiastic obedience, utilizing the Church through which to give allegiance, time, talent and other resources without reluctance or resentment.
Happy, fulfilling participation in the Church results when we relate institutional goals, programs, and policies to gospel principles and to personal eternal goals. When we understand the difference between the gospel and the church and the appropriate function of each in our daily lives, we are much more likely to do the right things for the right reasons. Institutional discipline is replaced by self-discipline. Supervision is replaced by a righteous initiative and a sense of divine accountability.
The Church aids us in our effort to use our free agency creatively, not to invent our own values and principles, but to discover and adopt the eternal truths of the gospel. Gospel living is a process of continuous individual renewal and improvement until the person is prepared and qualified to enter comfortably and with confidence into the presence of God.
My brothers and sisters, by inclination, training, and experience most of my life I have sought understanding by the accumulation of facts and the application of reason. I continue to do so. However, that which I know most surely and which has most significantly and positively affected my life I do not know by facts and reason alone, but rather by the comforting, confirming witness of the Holy Spirit.
By that same Spirit I testify that God is our Father, that Jesus of Nazareth is the Only Begotten of the Father in the flesh, and that he is the Savior and Redeemer of all mankind and each of us. Through his atoning sacrifice, redemption and exaltation are offered as a free gift to all who will accept by faith, repentance, and sacred covenants.
May each of us continue to learn and apply the eternal principles of the gospel as they are revealed in the scriptures, utilizing fully and appropriately the resources of the divine, restored Church.
In the words of the Book of Mormon Nephite leader Pahoran to his friend Captain Moroni, “May we rejoice in the great privilege of our church, and in the cause of our Redeemer and our God.” (Alma 61:14) In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

10 THOUGHTS ON “THE GOSPEL AND THE CHURCH

  1. Great article. I just found your blog and have started reading this post along with others. Your candor, insight, and perspectives are great.
    I know I’m late to the game on this one and have no idea if you are even going to reply, but I have a few thoughts in regards to your follow-up question “What do you think about the opposite being true?” I’ll do my very best to articulate my thoughts. I’ve been a member my entire life, now 32. I became truly converted at 18 after reading the Book of Mormon in its entirety and later served a great mission. However, like so many others that I have met in my life I have digressed on so many levels post-mission. So to dovetail off @scootd28′s metaphor, yes, I feel blind and lost all the time. I doubt my testimony at times and wonder if God is truly listening. I feel like I don’t have the relationship with Jesus Christ that I once had. I attend Church each week, partake of the sacrament, tithe, attend my Elders Quorum presidency meetings, usually home teach, sometimes visit the temple, read a verse or chapter a night and pray individually and with my wife and children each night. This may sound okay on the cover but it is exactly what you propose: It is the Church and it’s structure along with ecclesiastical habits and even a little guilt if I don’t do these things, that keeps me “active”. Make sense? And despite these efforts I cannot respond honestly in the affirmative to Alma’s, “Can you feel so now?” (Alma 5:26). I feel blind and numb. I’m not sure why the Holy Ghost doesn’t whisper to me the way that it once did. And I am SO tired depending on that testimony from so many years ago. I wish I felt like @scootd28 and knew when the Spirit were less present. I just don’t feel like He is present at all.
    So yes, I have become “Church centered” like so many others. I’m afraid that I will be like the millions of others of our Church who were baptized yet fall away because I just don’t feel.
    So now that I have proven your your theory, now what? What can I do to actually believe firmly once again. How can I feel the Atonement working in my life? It seems like the primary answers just don’t help.
    On an interesting side note, your articles have piqued my interest. Why is it that deeper doctrine intrigues me but not the basics of the Gospel? Why can’t I have that same drive and interest in the Book of Mormon again?
    I am embarrassed to put these words down to a complete stranger and really hope you respond.
    • Newbie, I’m neither Jeremy nor Jemma, but might I suggest that you re-read D&C 67:10 and D&C 93:1. Know that it is your privilege to have a visitation from your savior in this life. Attend the temple and consider that there is nothing in the endowment ceremony to indicate that the visit at the veil is intended to take place after death, as so many think. Ask the Lord if these things are true, then commit yourself. My launching point in this journey was when I said, “Lord, I know there will be trials. I fear those trials, but I want you more. I trust you and I know you will be gentle”. if you wish, you can read of my own journey at my blog. The following link will introduce you:
    • NV,
      You mentioned you have children. I will make an assumption that at least one is of school age. Imagine putting that child in kindergarten. Now imagine teaching that child that what kindergarten teaches is all there is or all that one needs to know. For a time the progression is amazing. But year after year the child does the same routine. Sure, they can say the ABC’s frontwards…even backwards. But the fire goes out. True learning stops. There is a benefit to the interaction with peers but when the peers are doing the exact same thing…well…if we expect different results from doing the same thing over and over again…thats just insanity – right?
      Kindergarten is/was a stepping stone. It is not the fullness though it is a brick on the path which leads to the fullness. At some point to progress further we have to get past reciting the ABC’s and let those symbols form words of inspired poetry. Something kindergarten cannot teach.
      I suggest that the fire and enthusiasm we experienced once in our lives that we dont feel now is misunderstood. Did we truly partake of the fruit then or was it the spiritual high and excitement from knowing we found the rod and we were on the hike to the top of the peak? We held on fervently and saw a glimpse of heaven. We even encouraged others to hold onto the rod and journey with us. I think this is now mistakenly understood as partaking of the fruit. When you feel that fire and excitement (the feeling being foreign to this world but familiar to your soul), what else could it be? Well, it was the fire of kindergarten. There is more. There are gifts and blessings so sacred and so amazing that our limited vocabulary cannot even express what the fruit truly tastes like. It is more desirable than anything else. And when you partake, a new fire burns within and you desire all to partake.
      Repent. Truly repent. Acknowledge that willpower alone cannot overcome your weaknesses. Repent of every and all sin. Rely completely on mercy and witness the miracle as you know not how justice can be served…as you ask Him…”Lord, how is it done…”
      Step one. Obedience and sacrifice. Seems simple right? (smile) To be obedient you have to hear the command. Listen. Hear. Do.
      “Why dost thou offer sacrifices unto the Lord? And Adam said unto him: I know not, save the Lord commanded me.”
      The next time you walk down the hallway at church and you see that small piece of trash and you have that small thought that says “pick it up”, dont ignore it. Pick it up.
    • NV,
      First, please don’t feel embarrassed to share these thoughts here – this place was created to share in the spirit. Were it not for complete strangers the Lord led me to online, I would have have been directed to learning some of the most amazing truths I’ve been taught, and having some of the most miraculous experiences the Lord has given me.
      RE: “So now that I have proven your your theory, now what? What can I do to actually believe firmly once again. How can I feel the Atonement working in my life? It seems like the primary answers just don’t help.”
      The thoughts shared by others here are wonderful, and I second those. I wonder (to put it in my own words), if it’s time for you to truly face God, and ask in fervent prayer – willing to believe and trust in whatever answers you receive, “What would You have me do? What would You have me learn?” And as I said, believe and trust in whatever you are directed to. Allow HIM to take that foundation He has given you through your lifelong membership in the church, and refine you into your true potential. Like this:
      RE: “On an interesting side note, your articles have piqued my interest. Why is it that deeper doctrine intrigues me but not the basics of the Gospel? Why can’t I have that same drive and interest in the Book of Mormon again?”
      I’m glad you’ve enjoyed the articles we’ve been led to share. (I think… hope… that we may have a few more coming soon. ;-) ). I believe the answer to your first question here, might be — because you are ready for MORE. You are ready for further light and knowledge, and you are being led to it….. In answer to your second question, I suspect that learning some of this “deeper doctrine”, and seeking after the “more” you are intrigued by, will help you to see layers of truth in the Book of Mormon that are SO overlooked, and SO amazing!!!
      If you are not a member of the Journey forum, you might find some things shared there that could open some doors. There is no judgment here, and no room for contention; only exploring Gospel truths as we share in what the Lord has shared with us.
      Take care :-)
  2. Well, this is timely.
    “Procedures, programs, and policies are developed within the Church to help us realize gospel blessings according to our individual capacity and circumstances. These policies, programs, and procedures do change from time to time as necessary to fulfill gospel purposes.
    Underlying every aspect of Church administration and activity are the revealed eternal principles as contained in the scriptures. As individually and collectively we increase our knowledge, acceptance, and application of gospel principles, we become less dependent on Church programs. Our lives become gospel centered.”
    That pretty much sums it up in my opinion. I know I’m certainly less dependent upon the church programs, lessons, administration than I was 2 years ago. I feel like I truly offer my help not out of obligation or need, but out of a desire to serve my Lord. Thanks, “Journey” for sharing this.
    • What do you think about the opposite being true?
      As individually and collectively we decrease our knowledge, acceptance, and application of gospel principles, we become more dependent on church programs. Our lives become church centered.
      • I suppose that’s probably true, Jeremy, but it’s like asking me what it’s like to be blind. I can’t imagine NOT progressing in the gospel. Heck, I get all discombobulated when I realize that I’m not feeling the spirit as strongly this week as I was last week. I start feeling edgy and a little empty, and my prayers take on a tone of desperation like, “Help me, Lord – I can’t handle not feeling close to you!”.
        I kind of think there’s a fulcrum type effect here – like high centering.. Once you reach your personal peak, you have to either stay there or go one way or the other. (Duh). I guess if you stay there, you would become dependent and grounded in the “arm of flesh”. But I really don’t think that’s very possible. I think you either go one way or the other. The church might keep you from falling away very fast, but it’s like a neglected marriage – gradually the couple grows apart, until one day they wake up and realize they don’t know each other any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment